Historica information about polish railways

Forum angielskojęzyczne.
laila

Historica information about polish railways

Postautor: laila » 29 lip 2008, o 14:41

Good morning every body!
This is my first time in this website. I write in English and I hope that someone can help me.
Last month I had a journey through Germany and Poland by train. I left from Italy on June, 25th and I got back on July, 7th . The reason of this journey was related to my father’s life. He was a military Italian prisoner of war; he was captured by Nazy soldiers in Italy on September, 9th 1943 and sent by train to the camp named Stalag II D in Stargard.
Some months ago, he gave me a map were the railroad was signed in outline, and I followed it: Munchen, Nurnberg, Dresden, Furstemberg/Oder, Alt Drewitz, Stargard. I’ve been studying the map for some weeks. I realized that a couple of towns had changed their names since then: Furstemberg became Eisenhuttenstadt on November 13th , 1961 by merging the towns of Furstemberg, Schonfliess and Stalinstadt; Alt Drewitz is now Drzewice, one of the boroughs of the town of Kostrzyn nad Odra (here I was deeply struck by the memorial of Stalag III C). Looking at the map, it seems that my father joined Stargard from the south (he still confirms), but the map is not detailed. Today, if you want to reach Stargard by train, leaving from Kostrzyn, you have to go to Szczecin or to Krzyz (and then to Stargard).
Is there anyone knowing a little history about polish railways?
I think that 60 years ago there was a railway connection between Debno, Mysliborz, Pyrzyce and Stargard. Is my opinion credible?
I would like to come back as soon as possible and study in depth some aspects of my previous journey. Thank you very much.
Best regards,

Laila Baraldi
Mantova, Italy
Awatar użytkownika
RychO
Kontakt:

Postautor: RychO » 29 lip 2008, o 15:45

Hello. My English is not too good ... I think that will soon receive a reply from the better sedina.pl users.
salute
mzimu

Re: Historica information about polish railways

Postautor: mzimu » 29 lip 2008, o 17:09

laila pisze: I think that 60 years ago there was a railway connection between Debno, Mysliborz, Pyrzyce and Stargard. Is my opinion credible?
I would like to come back as soon as possible and study in depth some aspects of my previous journey. Thank you very much.
Best regards,

Laila Baraldi
Mantova, Italy
It was definitely possible to arrive to Stargard from Pyrzyce (the south) until recently - passenger services on that line were suspended in 2003, now as far as I know parts of it are used for freight.
So perhaps your father's route from Kostrzyn was:

Kostrzyn - Gryfino (part of Szczecin-Wrocław route)
Gryfino - Pyrzyce (line closed somewhere in late 1990s, now demolished)
Pyrzyce - Stargard

Hope this helps.
Awatar użytkownika
Sławek

Postautor: Sławek » 29 lip 2008, o 18:06

Erich-Falkenwaldergesellschaft
-------------------------------------
GG 1424935