13 Aleja Piastow ?

Forum angielskojęzyczne.
TassieTiger

13 Aleja Piastow ?

Postautor: TassieTiger » 4 lut 2015, o 11:49

Stettin / Szczecin:

My relatives lived in the former Stettin so am hoping some Stettin / Szczecin experts might know the answers to the following -

After changing from Stettin to Szczecin, did the house numbers remain the same?

Would Flat (apartment?) 3 still be called flat 3 at 13 Aleja Piastow?

Would the Flat (apartment) number 3 be an entire floor in the building?

Which floor would Flat 3 be located on?

The attached photo was taken from a balcony at Flat 3, 13 Aleja Piastow:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lindnerfa ... 255809627/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lindnerfa ... 255810647/

Can anyone identify which balcony:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/40521669@N02/3728162640/
Ostatnio zmieniony 30 kwie 2015, o 14:07 przez TassieTiger, łącznie zmieniany 1 raz.
Ajo1958

Re: Barnimstrasse 13 the same as 13 Aleja Piastow ?

Postautor: Ajo1958 » 4 lut 2015, o 21:31

Hello! Barnimstrasse 13 is the same as Aleja Piastów 13 today.
Andrzej
Awatar użytkownika
Lazi

Postautor: Lazi » 4 lut 2015, o 22:37

How much important is it for you? If "very", then I can try to check where number 3 is nowadays.
TassieTiger

Postautor: TassieTiger » 4 lut 2015, o 22:50

Thank you both for the answers so far!

My father spent much of his childhood at Flat 3 Barnimstrasse 13, so for me it would be nice to know which flat it was inside the building.

Then hopefully one day I can visit Szczecin and see the building where my father once lived with his family.
Awatar użytkownika
Aygon

Postautor: Aygon » 6 lut 2015, o 12:31

Zweckverband fur Gross Stettin
GG:1237155
[url=http://www.prawobrzeze.org/galeria]galeria przedwojennego prawobrzeża[/url]
BUCHHEIDE VEREIN
naparty

Postautor: naparty » 8 lut 2015, o 17:14

Few in this photo you can see, however, something you see. It seems that the street front to the balcony is not Al. Piast but the Chodkiewicza street.
I think that we see a fragment of the building of I Liceum Ogólnokształcące (my high school). Al. Piast is also much wider than the visible frgment of the street.Today, between two roads of Piastów we have tram tracks, but as I remember from my childhood in place of track was wide pedestrian.
All this would suggest that this balcony is on the right side of the building. However, you do not see a narrow window that should be on a protruding wall (see Aygon photo).
TassieTiger

Postautor: TassieTiger » 9 lut 2015, o 00:07

naparty pisze:Few in this photo you can see, however, something you see. It seems that the street front to the balcony is not Al. Piast but the Chodkiewicza street.
I think that we see a fragment of the building of I Liceum Ogólnokształcące (my high school). Al. Piast is also much wider than the visible frgment of the street.Today, between two roads of Piastów we have tram tracks, but as I remember from my childhood in place of track was wide pedestrian.
All this would suggest that this balcony is on the right side of the building. However, you do not see a narrow window that should be on a protruding wall (see Aygon photo).
Thank you for this information. It is appreciated!
Perhaps these photos may offer more clues:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lindnerfa ... 289930660/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lindnerfa ... 854868924/
Awatar użytkownika
Lazi

Postautor: Lazi » 9 lut 2015, o 01:38

Those photos give us much more chances to find a right balcony ;-) My type is here: https://goo.gl/maps/09q8I Why? Because balustrade is a little bit back (like on your picture) to compare with others. Anyway as I promised before, I have to check where is now number 3.
Ostatnio zmieniony 24 lut 2015, o 21:59 przez Lazi, łącznie zmieniany 1 raz.
naparty

Postautor: naparty » 10 lut 2015, o 10:37

May you write a little about your family, who lived in Sttetin. We already know the name and address. Who were they? What did they do? Maybe they remembered the war. Sttetin was very intensively and repeatedly bombed and was very badly damaged. When they have to leave the city and what was their subsequent history? Why they emigrated to Australia and what they were doing there. All of these are elements of history of Sttetin / Szczecin and its inhabitants.
TassieTiger

Postautor: TassieTiger » 10 lut 2015, o 12:38

naparty pisze:May you write a little about your family, who lived in Sttetin. We already know the name and address. Who were they? What did they do? Maybe they remembered the war. Sttetin was very intensively and repeatedly bombed and was very badly damaged. When they have to leave the city and what was their subsequent history? Why they emigrated to Australia and what they were doing there. All of these are elements of history of Sttetin / Szczecin and its inhabitants.
My grandfather, Georg Lindner, was the last Pastor at the St. Johannes Evangelist Kirche / Kościół Sw Jana Ewangelisty (English: St. John the Evangelist Church) between 1935–1945.

One of his sons, Hansgeorg was my father. I imagine he would have attended the church above as a child. They lived at Barnimstrasse 13 - Flat 3. The photos I have linked in the posts above show the children of George and his wife Katherina. The photo with the girl on the balcony is my Aunt who migrated to Canada after the war. Another son, Bruno also migrated to Canada and the other son, Martin was killed in the war. My father immigrated to Australia as the Tasmanian government was seeking immigrants for infrastructure works, in the form of Hydro Electric dams. Georg and Katherina remained in Germany, having left Stettin for Berlin.

There are also some photos from inside the flat, however I doubt these would help identify the actual flat.

It appears they also had a summer house at Dievenow / Dziwnów (I also have questions about that summer house location here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13943)

Prior to the war, their life in Stettin/Szczecin appears to have been enjoyable. During and after the war, not so good with a family member lost to the war and my father spent many years as a Russian prisoner.
I realise it was the Germans that started the war and that Poland and it's people were very much affected so I am apologetic about that.

My questions are in the hope of identifying the actual flat so I can see it from the street one day and to touch the building and to walk where they once walked and imagine the happier times my father and his family once felt. Hopefully also identify the location of where the summer house once stood so I can also visit the beach where they once played and enjoyed the sun.
naparty

Postautor: naparty » 10 lut 2015, o 15:03

Thank you for interesting information. This is a small brick to the town history. The church of your grandfather survived aircraft bombing, but was damaged. It is "miracle" because the part of the town close to Odra river was ruined completely( see this photo: http://www.przelomy.muzeum.szczecin.pl/ ... rig&id=334). It was repaired and you can visit it when you will come to Szczecin. You are nice welcomed!
As I wrote it is rather impossible to localize the place where your family had summer house.
TassieTiger

Postautor: TassieTiger » 10 lut 2015, o 21:23

naparty pisze:Thank you for interesting information. This is a small brick to the town history. The church of your grandfather survived aircraft bombing, but was damaged. It is "miracle" because the part of the town close to Odra river was ruined completely( see this photo: http://www.przelomy.muzeum.szczecin.pl/ ... rig&id=334). It was repaired and you can visit it when you will come to Szczecin. You are nice welcomed!
As I wrote it is rather impossible to localize the place where your family had summer house.
Thank you for the photo - very interesting! Do you know if the church is open to the public during the week?
andrzejp

Postautor: andrzejp » 10 lut 2015, o 23:20

Hi, Tassie
its easy to manage visit the Church in week time. That can be managed over phone or with our help in case you come down
Awatar użytkownika
Lazi

Postautor: Lazi » 11 lut 2015, o 21:29

Hello again!
I have checked today morning what I promised. And unfortunately it looks, that numbers of flats have been changed after 1945. Generally they are totally mixed between all three stairways. However, today number 3 is on second floor (please see attached picture).
piastow13.jpg
I've marked with green my supposition, let me explain why this one.
1. First of all, on this photo https://www.flickr.com/photos/lindnerfa ... otostream/ we can clearly see recess which is common feature only for four balconies situated on the left part of building No 13.
naparty pisze:It seems that the street front to the balcony is not Al. Piast but the Chodkiewicza street.
[...] However, you do not see a narrow window that should be on a protruding wall (see Aygon photo).
2. For sure balcony on TassieTiger photos is not from Chodkiewicza street. As user naparty mentioned before, such narrow window that should be on a protruding wall in this configuration can be only on Piastów street side.
3. And last but not least thing is position of the sun which we can see on pretty girl face ;-) and recognise shadows on the street and balcony. This direction and altitude of sunlight is possible in my opinion only on al. Piastów.

P.S. Please check your inbox, I’ve sent you something.
TassieTiger

Postautor: TassieTiger » 11 lut 2015, o 23:54

Lazi pisze:Hello again!
I have checked today morning what I promised. And unfortunately it looks, that numbers of flats have been changed after 1945. Generally they are totally mixed between all three stairways. However, today number 3 is on second floor (please see attached picture).
piastow13.jpg
I've marked with green my supposition, let me explain why this one.
1. First of all, on this photo https://www.flickr.com/photos/lindnerfa ... otostream/ we can clearly see recess which is common feature only for four balconies situated on the left part of building No 13.
naparty pisze:It seems that the street front to the balcony is not Al. Piast but the Chodkiewicza street.
[...] However, you do not see a narrow window that should be on a protruding wall (see Aygon photo).
2. For sure balcony on TassieTiger photos is not from Chodkiewicza street. As user naparty mentioned before, such narrow window that should be on a protruding wall in this configuration can be only on Piastów street side.
3. And last but not least thing is position of the sun which we can see on pretty girl face ;-) and recognise shadows on the street and balcony. This direction and altitude of sunlight is possible in my opinion only on al. Piastów.

P.S. Please check your inbox, I’ve sent you something.
Many thanks for your investigations, advice and help!